FORMULA D RC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EVERYTHING RC: RC TOURING CAR, SC TRUCKS, RC DRIFT, RC OVAL, RC DRAG, RC BUGGY, RC TRUGGY, RC MONSTER TRUCK

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Repair of Crossovers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
-TC5racer-

-TC5racer-

Repair of Crossovers Empty
PostSubject: Repair of Crossovers   Repair of Crossovers EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 7:40 pm

I have been having problems with what I thought was my Mid/HIGH amps for a couple of years now to the point I have purchased 3 different amps to fix the problem and not to long ago after I purchased the last amp, I pulled the crossovers out from 1 of my sets of Components and noticed that one of the coils was melted. At that point I realized that it wasn't a problem with my amps but was actually my amps doing there job correctly and shutting off at the sign of any clipping (distortion).
I decided to replace the coil myself with one that had a higher power rating but it had to maintain the same value so the crossover point stayed the same. I didn't, and my Guru friend who's name I'll leave out didn't have the correct equipment to measure the coil so the internet search began.
I finally found some useful info on a Crossover Forum (yep they got em) where this guy had a customer with the same exact problem coils on the same Component System and by the end of the discussion I had my value. Which ended up being .13mH. The H is for Henry whatever the hell that means.

Here is the rebuild of my X-overs.

What they looked like when they came out.
Repair of Crossovers Img_2110

You can see what the good one looks like in relation to the bad one.
Repair of Crossovers Img_2111

As you can see the coil is completely melted causing the amps to see a short/clip.
Repair of Crossovers Img_2112

The new coil from Parts-Express.com
Repair of Crossovers Img_2113

Coil Removed
Repair of Crossovers Img_2210

Layout of new coil as you can tell they should be able to handle a lot more power
Repair of Crossovers Img_2211

Soldering (Before)
Repair of Crossovers Img_2212

Soldering (After)
Repair of Crossovers Img_2213

Finished Product
Repair of Crossovers Img_2214
Repair of Crossovers Img_2215

After it was all said and done they work great I have no cut off issues and it's louder than I can even stand which is what I wanted. I don't always listen to it that loud but it's nice to have it when you do want to.
Back to top Go down
Germanese
Admin
Germanese

PostSubject: Re: Repair of Crossovers   Repair of Crossovers EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 10:26 am

hahahah damn look at the replacement those are some giant buggers compared to stock xD

Clearer at louder db ?
Or just louder ?
Back to top Go down
http://formuladrc.com
-TC5racer-

-TC5racer-

PostSubject: Re: Repair of Crossovers   Repair of Crossovers EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Don't really notice it being any clearer because it was clear to start out but it remains clear at the higher db.

LOUD really really LOUD and Clear well as clear as my beat up eardrums can process I have had 120-150db Systems for 15 years straight so I'm sure there has been some damage.
Back to top Go down
snellemin

snellemin

PostSubject: Re: Repair of Crossovers   Repair of Crossovers EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 2:16 am

nice man. I bet it sounds killer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.snelle-rc.com
-TC5racer-

-TC5racer-

PostSubject: Re: Repair of Crossovers   Repair of Crossovers EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 7:17 pm

After another day of messing with the EQ settings and my mids and highs have never sounded better. There is no noticable distortion even at MAX volume.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Repair of Crossovers   Repair of Crossovers Empty

Back to top Go down

Repair of Crossovers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
FORMULA D RC :: GENERAL SECTION :: Off Topic :: Crazy non-RC Projects-
Jump to: