EVERYTHING RC: RC TOURING CAR, SC TRUCKS, RC DRIFT, RC OVAL, RC DRAG, RC BUGGY, RC TRUGGY, RC MONSTER TRUCK

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Associated TC4 Drift Setup - Help needed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
k-weaver

PostSubject: Associated TC4 Drift Setup - Help needed   Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:39 pm

I am new to the forum. I actually came across it searching for help on google with setting up my TC4. So here's the story...

I was my LHS with a buddy of mine and they had an HPI E10 on display. He instantly fell in love with it (monster edition) and had to buy it. We started this hobby (RC) together so naturally I had to get one aswell. Problem was it was there only one. They did however have a TC4 on consignment so I figured i'd pick it up and try it out...

First thing I did was swap the motor. I put my castle creations esc (sv2) and castle 6900 kv motor in it. After calibrating the transmitter I hit the gas and instantly ripped the front tire (balooned real big). Since I needed new tires anyway I ran it up and down the street and man is this thing FAST!!!

I put some plastic tires on it (off my buddy's e10) and tried to drift but as soon as I got sideways I would spin out. I am assuming this is because of the diffs in the front/rear. I just purchased the locking diff and i'm planning on putting it in the rear. My question is should I get another for the front? Is there anything else I should plan to buy?

I am new to road cars/drift cars so I'm kinda of clueless with the setups. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!
Back to top Go down
Dominator
Distributor

PostSubject: Re: Associated TC4 Drift Setup - Help needed   Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:37 am

k-weaver,

Welcome to the forum. The TC4 is a good car and can be made to drift. I had a race setup on mine and it would still drift pretty good, so it can be done. The guru is our forum moderator, Germanese. He is pretty hardcore in to RC drifting and will be able to help out. I'll tell him to check in on the forum and get in touch with you. You can also shoot him a PM.

We've been talking about getting a few of us together and meeting up somewhere for some drifting. What part of town are you in?

-Dean
Back to top Go down
http://www.lonestarhobbies.com
Germanese
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Associated TC4 Drift Setup - Help needed   Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Hehehe nice Welcome to the forum man.

First thing is first,... Try to tame your motor down a bit, so you have more throttle control.
This can be done by ESC or Pinions. You are running a very powerful/fast motor, which might make it hard to control a drift, but easy getting into one.

The second thing, you mentioned that it wants to loop out while initiating a drift.
Try softening the front and stiffen the rear. You want some traction up front to steer to connect your drifts.
The main reason for the softer front is, you want to be able to shift the weight up front.
Also depending on how you initiate the drift you want to have some body roll.

Only the rear diff is required to be locked, keep the the front as a diff (Tightening it up might help in certain conditions)
Front diff should be Medium Tight or loose.
For now you can tighthen up the rear diff and it will give you the same effect for a drift.

Type A HPI Drift tires Worked for us so far, More realistic drifts and some grip.
Doesnt look like we on ice with them.

Look into a cheap thermo meter gun thing.
Our drift cars tend to easily heat up due to stress, so you can keep an eye on your temps.

Last edited by Germanese on Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://formuladrc.com
k-weaver

PostSubject: Re: Associated TC4 Drift Setup - Help needed   Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:50 pm

Thanks for the advise Germanese. I'm waiting my my locked diff to arive in the mail. Once it does i'll throw it in the rear and let you guys know how she drives. I'd love to meet up and have a drift sesh...one problem tho...I'm in California. I did notice most members on here were in texas but after reading some posts everyone seemed to want to help each other out and not bash on each other so I joined up. I'm already loving the site!!
Back to top Go down
Dominator
Distributor

PostSubject: Re: Associated TC4 Drift Setup - Help needed   Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:59 am

k-weaver,

Your from California huh, so am I but I moved to Houston TX about 5 years ago. I came from the Camarillo area (few miles South of Ventura). I see from your user profile that you're from Santa Maria. I've been there many times. I used pit crew for a sprint car team and we went to Santa Maria speedway several times.

Once again, welcome to the forum. You're right we don't bash each other here. If it looks like we do, it's all in good fun because most of us know each other from around town. Even though you're about 1500 miles away, you can still get good info from this Texas based forum.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lonestarhobbies.com
Germanese
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Associated TC4 Drift Setup - Help needed   Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:35 am

Oh dang i totally wrote some hieroglyphs up there LOL pardon the errors LOL

Just fixed it. That should be a bit more understandable to read.

PS: Also look into Metal Outdrives, If you already have Metal CVDs and Plastic outdrives, the chances are that you will be wearing them out drifting.
Back to top Go down
k-weaver

PostSubject: Re: Associated TC4 Drift Setup - Help needed   Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:52 am

So I received my locked diff today in the mail but haven't received tires yet. My car came with some super soft slicks that get some massive traction. I threw the diff in and put tape around all 4 tires. I was having a great time getting sideways but eventually the tape would start to peel. I re-applied a second coat and went back to my driveway. About 5 minutes in I snapped the end of the CVD that goes into the outdrive. Since it was a locked diff I just kept on drifting (could only turn one way). Couple seconds later the other one snapped...So I placed an order for the Factory team pieces but they won't be here till next week Mad .
Back to top Go down
Germanese
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Associated TC4 Drift Setup - Help needed   Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:10 am

Hehehehe yeah get the steel ones not the alu cvds,..... LOL
I snapped one too on my Team Magic back then and the JRX Type R.
Back to top Go down
cjtamu

PostSubject: Re: Associated TC4 Drift Setup - Help needed   Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:45 pm

Andreas. are you talking about running a locked diff in the rear on a 50/50 car? Or is the rear of the TC4 already overdriven? Haven't had my Yokomo out in a couple weeks, I need to go play with it.
Back to top Go down
Germanese
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Associated TC4 Drift Setup - Help needed   Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:12 pm

Yes to make a drift a bit easier. Use a locked rear diff on a 50/50 setup.
If you rely on inertia to drift. Then a tight rear diff will work just fine.
Back to top Go down
k-weaver

PostSubject: Re: Associated TC4 Drift Setup - Help needed   Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:40 pm

Germanese wrote:
Yes to make a drift a bit easier. Use a locked rear diff on a 50/50 setup.
If you rely on inertia to drift. Then a tight rear diff will work just fine.

I hear doing this wears out the diff balls quicker. Am I wrong?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Associated TC4 Drift Setup - Help needed   

Back to top Go down

Associated TC4 Drift Setup - Help needed
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1