EVERYTHING RC: RC TOURING CAR, SC TRUCKS, RC DRIFT, RC OVAL, RC DRAG, RC BUGGY, RC TRUGGY, RC MONSTER TRUCK

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

MKS Servos - DS670

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dominator
Distributor

PostSubject: MKS Servos - DS670    Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:33 pm

This past weekend, we met up with Thomas from MKS Servo USA to purchase some sample servos to test out. It was a pleasure to meet Thomas. He is a great guy with LOTS of knowledge and we learned a lot in our brief meeting.

Over the next couple of weeks we'll be reviewing three servos from MKS. The DS670 high end servo that is extremely fast and loaded with torque. The DS1009 is a budget high speed/high torque servo and the DS1210 is a budget minded high toque servo that is still quite fast.

First up will be the MKS DS670. This will be a multi-part review as the servo is put through real world tests.

Specs:
Speed @ 6v: 0.089 sec/60*
Torque @6V: 218.35 oz/in (15.72 kg-cm)
Dimensions: 40 x 20 x 40 mm
Weight: 2.63 oz (75 g)
Dead band: 0.0008ms
Coreless motor
Dual ball bearing
Machined titanium gears
Full aluminum upper case
Retail price: $125.50
(Note: we did not provide specs for 4.8V because, c'mon we're car guys and we don't use 4.8V)

The DS670 comes nicely packaged in a foam padded hard plastic case. Included in the package are the standard assortment of servo horns, screws and metal grommets.

Most of the servo case is machined aluminum. The center case section is anodized in purple which is really cool and appears to be laser engraved with the MKS logo and such. The upper case section is beautifully machined and is annodized in black. The bottom plate/dust cover is the only plastic part on the servo case. Thomas from MKS USA explained to us why they chose to use an aluminum upper case. Essentially it's to prevent you from blowing out the gears. Typical metal gear servos have a plastic top case. In a good crash that there is a lot of stress on the gear train, which can cause the case to flex thereby letting the gears lose their mesh and strip. With an aluminum upper case, there is no flex so the gears can not lose their mesh... plain and simple. As an added bonus, in a good crash you won't break off the mounting ears either.

Now for the fun specs...

This thing is incredibly fast at 0.089 sec/60*. How fast is that? It's crazy fast! What that means is when you let go of the steering wheel so that it bounces back and rattles, the servo rattles too at the same speed. I tested this out on the bench myself.

The servo also has 218.35 oz/in of torque which is great for larger 1/8 buggies and truggies, or monster trucks.

Dead band is 0.0008ms. What does that mean? In simplest terms, dead band equates to smoothness of the servo. Another way to look at it is, it's the amount you need to turn the steering wheel (or click in some trim) before the servo actually moves. Most standard servos require the wheel to be rotated a bit (or several clicks of trim) before the servo even moves. In the case of the MKS DS670, the tiniest movement of the steering wheel (or trim) equals the same amount of movement on the servo. As a result, the servo will be more accurately centered and have a smoother response.

Machined titanium gears. Most servo manufactures use stamped gears in which the tolerances are not always perfect. This allows a bit of slop in the gear train and they can wear quicker. Machined gears on the other hand, are made to exacting tolerances so there is virtually no slop in the gears and they last longer.

I will be bolting this servo in to a 1/8 scale electric buggy and testing it out at the track. Stay tuned for more information.

Please visit MKS on the web at... www.mksservousa.com

-Dean
Back to top Go down
http://www.lonestarhobbies.com
snellemin

PostSubject: Re: MKS Servos - DS670    Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:35 pm

Nice write up man. The stupid fast metal case servo got my attention.
Back to top Go down
http://www.snelle-rc.com
Dominator
Distributor

PostSubject: Re: MKS Servos - DS670    Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:47 pm

snellemin wrote:
Nice write up man. The stupid fast metal case servo got my attention.

It is stupid fast too. Awesome! Once I get another motor for my buggy (Viper), I'll take it to the track to put it through it's paces. I have a feeling I'll need a bunch of exponential so my slow reflexes can keep up. LOL
Back to top Go down
THEANVIL

PostSubject: Re: MKS Servos - DS670    Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:55 pm

Everyone out there. These servos are soooo smooth. And Super duper fast. Im thinking of getting all rid of my Futaba and Hitec servos. I think nothing can match up to these servo's. Wish I had found these early I would of bought these instead. There way better Guys..!!
Back to top Go down
Germanese
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MKS Servos - DS670    Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:48 pm

Nice we need to do some Vids of it !!!
That thing is stoopid fast in person !!!
Especially moving them damn Heavy wheels !!!
Back to top Go down
http://formuladrc.com
Dominator
Distributor

PostSubject: Re: MKS Servos - DS670    Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:05 pm

Well, I finally had a chance to try out the MKS DS670 servo in my 1/8 buggy.

I'm extremely impressed with this servo. It has all the torque I could ever want for a 1/8 buggy. It's extremely fast which allows me to quickly correct if the car over-steers coming off a corner. The servo centers perfectly every time with no slop in the gears, so the car tracks straight and I never need to touch the trim. Also, it is able to take some abuse. To say I crashed the buggy a few times would be an understatement. I'm quite rusty at off road racing so as I re-learn to drive on dirt, the poor buggy took some punishment. Keep in mind 1/8 buggies weigh about 7 to 8 pounds and when it cartwheels, there is a lot of stress being put on a servo. The DS670 soaked it all up with no problems whatsoever and just keeps on going

The only downside with this servo is it's size. It's about 2-3mm taller than most other servos which meant, in my buggy it would not sit flush in the servo tray. I had to put a small shim under the servo ears so that it would mount correctly. This is a very small inconvenience.

I really only have 1 very small complaint... with a high end servo like this and for the price, I would like to see it include an aluminum servo horn. Futaba horns are compatible so I used one from Hangar 9.

Overall, I give this servo a 9.5
(.5 deduction because it's a tad bit taller than most other servos and doesn't include an aluminum horn)

If you're looking for a high torque and/or high speed digital MG servo for a reasonable price, check out the MKS DS670

The test platform was a Team-C T8E buggy on 4s LiPo and powered by a Speed Passion Silver Arrow V2 ESC and Viper 1600kv motor

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MKS Servos - DS670    

Back to top Go down

MKS Servos - DS670
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1